Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bubble Wrap on Order

We've had a bit of accident-proneness around here lately. Kincaid fell in his sock feet in a friend's garage and busted his chin open. I wasn't in the garage at the time, but he must've landed solely on his chin directly on the concrete floor because it was gaping open and when I looked at it, I saw his chin bone. Gross. I was thankful that we were at someone else's home as I had a sudden onslaught of nausea and had to go put my head between my knees to keep from fainting. What has happened to me? I used to be so strong! Now I'm a big wimp. I mean, after two c-sections why should a bit of blood, bones and cartilage bring me to my knees? Thankfully, my sweet friend held his chin together while I pulled myself together and could think straight enough to drive to the emergency room.

Well, anyway, after several weeks, the chin healed. And then three months later he hit the side of the pool and busted the silly thing right back open. This time, I was smart. I didn't look. So, we are becoming frequent fliers at Vanderbilt. In fact, within 20 months, Charming, Kincaid & Scarlett have visited the emergency room a collective five times. Seems like they should reserve us our own parking spot right out front. I'm just hoping we haven't made it onto the list. You know the one, the "We'd better keep an eye on these ones - a bit too many accidents going on at their house" List.

So, after a few weeks, I was hopeful that we might be on the way out of the "accident-zone" and back to worry free bumps & bruises. Alas, this week has brought that dream to an end. Within the past three days Kincaid has ripped his big toe open, fallen down the stairs and busted his lip (thankfully the poor chin escaped the "third times a charm" curse), turned around too sharply and landed the entire right side of his face in the door frame, (hence the presence of a black eye and swollen cheek bone), dropped an 8 pound weight on the big toe that wasn't ripped open, and swam too close to the bottom of the pool and scraped scab #2 right off that poor chin of his! And now, Scarlett has fallen down the steps and smashed her finger on something. Whew. What AM I doing wrong?

I've decided that there aren't enough band-aids in the world to keep us all safe, so I've got bubble wrap on order.

And believe me, we'll all be wearing it!

No comments: