Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Small Mystery...

My stinker, sweet pea, princess, gift. My little mystery....

I try. Really hard. To monitor, to guard, to protect, to shelter.

I don't think it's working ... maybe I am blogging too much?

Scarlett's favorite new phrase when something is upsetting her is, "Hey! What's the big idea?!" Said with much moxie & huffiness (is that a word?)! This phrase pops out when I do something that frustrates her. For instance, try to get her dressed...or give her a cup of milk that has a small leak. It popped out the other day at McDonald's playland - directed to another little girl about Scarlett's age. I guess she was getting in Scarlett's "space" so she let her know about it. A loud, "Hey! What's the big idea?!" along with a swift kick! Ugh!

It is actually kind of funny when she blurts it out, you never know when it is coming and she is not partial upon whom she uses it. Charming has had it thrown his way a few times, as has Kincaid and Quincy. It's the perfect strangers who get it that really make you cringe! There usually isn't time to make a lot of excuses, so a short "So sorry, she's two." usually has to work. As much as I want to laugh sometimes, because it really is FUNNY, I do try to be a responsible mom and fuss at her about it.

Figuring out where she heard it has been a mystery. I mean, I do really monitor what she watches on TV (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Disney, Pooh), where she goes without me (Mother's Day Out, Sunday school), who she hangs out with (close friends & family). I've never heard these words come out of anyone we know.

So, I did the logical thing and asked her, "Scarlett, where did you hear that?" "I don't know." was the reply & continued to be for weeks until one day she was watching Mickey Mouse's Christmas show and came running into the kitchen exclaiming, "Mommy, Mommy!! Donald Duck says 'Hey! What's the big idea?!'" So I troup into the living room to see and sure enough, there is Donald saying "Hey! What's the big idea?!" in a very grouchy voice to Mrs. Claus herself.

Ah..mystery solved! It wasn't a teen show or inappropriate friend that corrupted my angelic child...it was Donald Duck! Now that I've watched it a bit more, he is a grouchy ole fella...and says "Hey! What's the big idea?!" in almost every episode. Not sure how I missed it before. Just goes to show how much we filter from what we hear. And, I guess, Scarlett thought that was how you were supposed to express your feelings when you were frustrated!

I haven't heard the famous phrase in a couple of days...it'll probably come out again at a most inopportune time!

I love solving mysteries...

1 comment:

Jen said...

You figured it out! So funny! Isn't it amazing how much they pick up on? Things we (adults) just automatically filter and tune out...amazing!